Press Release: Conservation Minnesota Voter Center Announces Delegation Scores From LCV’s 2017 National Environmental Scorecard

Minneapolis – Conservation Minnesota’s Voter Center today released the Minnesota delegation’s scores on the League of Conservation Voters’ 2017 National Environmental Scorecard. The Scorecard is the primary yardstick for evaluating the environmental records of every member of Congress, and the full report is available online at

“Despite a few bad scores in this report, we remain optimistic that the tide is turning on environmental topics and members of congress are growing interested in rejecting the idea that environmental protection has a partisan home,” said Paul Austin, Executive Director of Conservation Minnesota’s Voter Center. “A new generation of elected officials on all levels are finding themselves looking for common ground on conservation issues as they recognize the role they can play in creating more prosperous communities.”

The 2017 Scorecard measures votes cast during the first session of the 115th Congress. In Minnesota, half of the House members and both Senators earned a score of 85 percent or greater, while the other four House members had scores below 15 percent. As per tradition, Rep. Peterson broke with his party on many key votes. The average House score for Minnesota was 51 percent and the average Senate score was 100 percent. The full delegation’s scores for 2017 are:

Senator Franken 100% Rep. McCollum 100% 100%
Senator Klobuchar 100% Rep. Ellison 100% 100%
Rep. Walz 97% Rep. Emmer 0% 0%
Rep. Lewis 0% Rep Peterson 14% 14%
Rep. Paulsen 0% Rep. Nolan 89% 89%

The 2017 Scorecard includes 35 House votes, with a national average House Republican score of 5 percent and a national average House Democrat score of 94 percent. In the Senate, the Scorecard includes 19 votes, including eight votes to confirm anti-environmental Cabinet and sub-Cabinet nominees who have wasted no time implementing Trump’s dangerous agenda. Nationally, Senate Democrats averaged 93 percent, while Senate Republicans averaged just 1 percent.

LCV has published a National Environmental Scorecard every Congress since 1970. The Scorecard represents the consensus of experts from about 20 respected environmental and conservation organizations who selected the key votes on which members of Congress should be scored. LCV scores votes on the most important issues of the year, including energy, climate change, public health, public lands and wildlife conservation, and spending for environmental programs. The votes included in the Scorecard presented members of Congress with a real choice and help distinguish which legislators are working for environmental protection. More information on individual votes and the Scorecard archive can be found at

MORE INFO:  For more information on the report, please contact Nate Dybvig at or 651.230.3018.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.